April 24, 2013

Wedded Bliss Wednesdays: An Interview with my Wedding Dress Designer

What is the MOST important decision a girl decides for her wedding day?!!? Well, besides saying ‘yes’ to the ideal groom, I would say the WEDDING dress or dresses, if we are referring to myself!






I had the most AMAZING experience with Caroline Hayden, my dress designer….. Soon, I will discuss my inspirations for my dress but for now, let’s learn a little about Caroline.


1. When did you decide that you wanted to become a designer?

It was always on the short list when I was asked "what do you want to be when you grow up?"...along with concert pianist and veterinarian.

2. I know that you once competed in pageants in both Wisconsin and Minnesota, how has that experience shaped your work?

If you've ever seen a custom pageant dress hanging on a hanger, you know that there's quite a lot going on under the surface of the gown. Gowns have to fit very close to the body and be able to hold their shape with the heavy embellishments throughout, so I've learned a lot of tricks and technique to create the base of any type of gown.

3. Are you still involved in pageants?

I enjoy volunteering my time to help mentor local contestants in the Miss America Organization and I have a few custom clients each year for pageant gowns but no, I am not very involved anymore and the pageant gowns I do design are definitely not your 'typical' pageant gown.


4. What is your favorite silhouette?

We do a lot of at-waist seems and I love a full skirt.






5. Where do you find inspiration?

I am inspired a lot by shape and texture rather than specific time periods, places, objects, etc. When working with a bride, I listen to their inspiration and make sure the gown is still representative of my personal taste.


6. What designers do you envy?

I don't know if I 'envy' anyone else but I really admire the creative work of McQueen and Givenchy


7. If you could design a dress for a celebrity, who would you dress? Why?

Charlize Theron. She's gorgeous, fearless, and really knows how to work a dress.


8. What do you foresee in the future for your company?

I've been doing custom gowns for the past 8 years but in many ways feel like I'm just starting out! My next step is researching production options and trying my hand at ready-to-wear while continuing to design for special projects and custom clients. I hesitate stating any specific goals because I'm a firm believer in keeping your head down, heart open, and mind clear and seeing where life leads you.

Thanks Caroline for the interview. If you are interested in a custom-designed gown or to purchase any of her ready-wear check out her Facebook page or Website.

I can only sing praises about her professionalism and beautiful personality. I wish I was getting married again so I could have her re-design my gown... But, I wouldn't have her change one thing!





All Photos Courtesy of BellowBlue Photography!

Michelyn

No comments:

Post a Comment