March 4, 2011

Insomnia


“Insomnia is a gross feeder.  It will nourish itself on any kind of thinking, including thinking about not thinking.”  ~Clifton Fadiman

Over the last few weeks, I have been suffering from horrible insomnia. Now, I must admit that I know the culprit to my inability to sleep- stress! The unfortunate thing about my culprit is that it is not going away anytime soon. I have tried many remedies including yoga, deep breathing exercises, positive thinking; you name it. I have even tried counting from 100, but that has left me quite agitated because mid-count I become engrossed in multiple thoughts and forget where I was…

I finally shared my dilemma with my supervisor and she suggested that I take melatonin.

Melatonin is a hormone made by the pineal gland; and it helps control your sleep and wake cycles.  Melatonin is a relatively inexpensive, over-the-counter supplement and can be purchased at any drug store or super center like Wal-Mart. It is recommended that you take one pill about 1 hour prior to your desired bedtime. Although I have only been taking it for a few days, I can definitely tell the difference in my ability to fall asleep. If you are having difficulties falling asleep, I recommend it. I am not one to revert to prescription drugs so sleeping pills was never an option.


“And if tonight my soul may find her peace 
in sleep, and sink in good oblivion,
 and in the morning wake like a new-opened flower
 then I have been dipped again in God, and new-created.”
~D.H. Lawrence


<3 Michelyn

1 comment:

  1. i read a tag on my yogi tea bag awhile ago that said something like don't count sheep, count blessings :) hope it gets better!

    ReplyDelete