July 28, 2014

Liebster Award

It is not everyday that one is honored with an award, but about two weeks ago, I was nominated for the Liebster Award. So, what is a Liebster? Liebster is German and means sweetest, kindest, nicest, dearest, beloved, lovely, kind, pleasant, valued, cute, endearing, and welcome. I would like to believe that I encompass all those adjectives; thank you very much!

This award is given to bloggers who have under 500 followers, and are “up and coming”. In doing a Google search I too found some that noted under 200, and even 100 followers. The person who nominated me, going to get to her in a minute, indicated 500; therefore, I used that criteria.

And now a drum roll for one of my favorite bloggers and pageant friends…Ashley from If You Give A Girl A Ring nominated me! Ashley has guest blogged for me regarding the differences between the Miss American Organization and Miss USA pageant systems, she has been a great asset as I improve my blog, and is such a wonderful person. I so enjoy visiting her blog and her YouTube channel. Honestly, follow her!

Ashley blogs about running/fitness, style, food, make-up, travel, and the list goes on! Are you in need of a laugh? Her YouTube videos are absolutely hysterical (and informative). This girl has everything! Some time ago she did a show about the things in her purse, see it here! Who the heck has one of those home suitcase scales? Of course Ashley does! I was on the floor rolling while watching her taste test her Nature Box & Graze monthly subscriptions. Have you tried either? Check out her unboxing videos here.

Liebster Award Rules
1. Link back to the blogger who nominated you.
2. State 11 interesting facts about yourself.
3. Answer the 11 questions asked by the blogger who nominated you.
4. Nominate 11 bloggers with less than 500 followers.
5. Create 11 questions for the bloggers to answer.

11 Facts About Me:
1. I was once very, very shy. I was asked to walk in two weddings as the flower girl. In both weddings, I did not walk down the aisle because I was too timid. Instead, I cried and clung to my father (my mother stood in both weddings). I did, however, smile beautifully for the pictures! Ok, not too much has changed.

2. I am an only child. But NOT spoiled, just well taken for.

3. I have known my husband and his family since I was a baby. Like in womb baby!

4. I have never changed a baby’s diaper.

5. My first job was a receptionist at a bank, while in middle school. I then became a dance instructor at 16 years of age. I continued both through college. I did get promoted to a bank teller and it’s why I am such a crazy person about the “family budget.”

6. I won the very first pageant I competed in, Miss Florida American Coed, in the Teen Division. I then went on to place 4th runner-up at nationals.

7. I, however, competed in 13 preliminary pageants before actually wining a preliminary title to vie for the title of Miss Florida (MAO).

8. I entered University of Florida as a Business major but then switched to Psychology after my sophomore year.

9. I took only a semester off from my graduate studies at the University of Wisconsin-Madison to fulfill my reign as Miss WI USA 2008 and prepare for the Miss USA pageant. To say it was a little stressful is an understatement.

10. I never imagined myself obtaining a PhD; the opportunity kind of “fell in my lap.” With that said, I am glad that I did continue my education as my career opportunities are endless!

11. My dream job would be to be a wedding/event planner (same as Ashley) or private investigator. If you knew me in college, you would chuckle at the PI role.


What’s your favorite thing about blogging?
I love the outlet for my thoughts and rants. My blog is about a whole lot, kind of a hodgepodge of my life – fitness, health, pageantry, coach’s wife. But, also about nothing just lots of rambling and "stuff!" I enjoy having a place to document what is going on for Team Kemp, my latest fitness journey, and life in general.

If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you travel and why?
Bora Bora, but I would take any tropical destination to be honest. 

What’s a talent you wish you had?
This is easy! Being creative and artistic, like those DIY bloggers I follow. I just lack in the ability to execute anything with paint, a hammer, needle/thread; you get the picture. I too am not that great with interior decorating, unless you count buying the showcase floor!

What is your favorite movie?
I am weird, and do not have a favorite movie.

Your most treasured possession.
I am not hugely sentimental. I do treasure a ring that my mother recently gifted me. It previously belonged to my maternal grandmother who passed during childbirth (to my own mother).

What’s your favorite thing to cook?
Well in my bachelorette days, it was salad! In general I try to cook healthy meals, and love Pinterest for inspiration. I often make my turkey mash, turkey meatballs, and many chicken dishes. Coach Kemp too enjoys cooking, or rather, grilling, so I get him to do that as much as possible. 

If you had a million dollars, what would you do with it?
Save it! LoL, so not my pageant response. I would first give money to my parents and in-laws so they could officially retire and move in with Coach Kemp and I. That would mean we would need to buy a new house, and then I would save all the rest J. Yes, Coach Kemp, you would still have to work!

What’s your ideal Saturday?
Shopping, lunch and/or dinner out, and begin it all with a quick workout at CrossFit SEO

What are your hobbies?
Working out, blogging, volunteering (and shopping).

Advice you’d give a new blogger?
Don’t let the fact that you have a minimum number of followers deter you from blogging. This is something that I remind myself of frequently. Decide why you chose to begin blogging, and stay on that train. If others find you interesting and worth following; they will find you. So this also means to be yourself!

What’s your favorite quote?
Cheeky: "You can never be overdressed or overeducated." Oscar Wilde

Serious: "Think positive and positive things will happen."

My 11 Nominees
All Dressed Up In Love
And One Love
Brains of the Outfit
Curtis Family
From Miss USA to MBA
Hello Stripes
Julie’s Running Blog
Married to the Coach
Mom’s Little Running Buddy
Pug Plus One
The Chance Clan

 11 Questions for My Nominees
  1. If you were stranded on a deserted island, what 3 things would be essential for your survival?
  2. Why did you start blogging?
  3. What are you wearing right now?
  4. If you could take a magic pill for the perfect body and health, would you take it? Why or why not?
  5. What is on your Christmas or Birthday list?
  6. At what age would you want to live for eternity?
  7. Where do you live, and what is great about that city?
  8. Name an important quality you look for in a friend/partner.
  9. What is your favorite dessert?
  10. Your best and worst quality.
  11. Your favorite holiday is, and why?
Michelyn

No comments:

Post a Comment