May 26, 2014

12 Week Advanced Half-Marathon Training Program


Yesterday marked the first day of a new training plan!!! As you may know, I ran the Toledo Marathon on May 27th. You can read about it, here.

So now, four weeks later, I am "itching" to do another race. I surprisingly desire to run a subsequent marathon, but think I will stick with a half for now. Athens actually has a full marathon, The Athens Marathon, which is set in April. Let's see, maybe next year I will run that.

But, in the meantime, I decided to set myself up for a little challenge. I have shard my dislike for hills, and think my non-hill training partially resulted in my inability to push through that windy portion of the Glass City Marathon (read about that here). So, what does a person like myself do in these situations? They register for a hilly half marathon which will force them to incorporate hill training. In mid-August, Parkersburg, WV hosts a half-marathon, The Parkersburg News & Sentinel Half Marathon, and I have set my eyes on the prize!

I typically modify Hal Higdon's training plans, but desired to run longer distances, even though I am only training for a half. I used two resources - Cool Running and About.Com (direct links to plans), and developed an Advanced Half Marathon Training Program, below.

12- Week Advanced Half Marathon Training Plan 

WEEK

SUNDAY

MONDAY

TUESDAY

WEDNESDAY

THURSDAY

FRIDAY

SATURDAY

1

6M

3 M EZ

35 min tempo

OFF

7 M

3 M EZ

OFF

2

8 M

3 M EZ

6 x 400 IW

OFF

9 M

3 M EZ

OFF

3

10 M

3 M EZ

35 min tempo

OFF

10 M

3 M EZ

OFF

4

10 M

3.5 M EZ

4 x 800 IW

OFF

8 M

3.5 M EZ

OFF

5

12M

3.5 M EZ

6 hill repeats

OFF

9 M

3.5 M EZ

OFF

6

10M

3 M EZ

7 hill repeats

OFF

11 M

3 M EZ

OFF

7

10M

4 M EZ

8 x 400 IW

OFF

13 M

(last 3 at race pace)

4 M EZ

OFF

8

14M

3 M Race

5 x 800 IW

OFF

8 M

3 M Race

OFF

9

12M

4 M EZ

8 hill repeats

OFF

10 M

4 M EZ

OFF

10

15M

6 M Race

7 x 400 IW

OFF

14 M

(last 4 at race pace)

6 M Race

OFF

11

15M

4 M EZ

40 min tempo

OFF

5 M

4 M EZ

OFF

12

10M

4 M EZ

4 M

OFF

6 M

20 mins

Parkersburg News Half Marathon

Disclaimer: BBB is not a trained fitness professional or medical doctor. It is strongly recommended that you consult with your physician before beginning any exercise program.

Although the race is on Saturday, and most training programs place the "long" run on the anticipated race day; I prefer to run my long runs on Sunday, so I made that modification for myself. I also get tired mid-week so I placed an "Off" day on Wednesday and Saturday. Many training programs have off-days set for Friday and cross-training on Monday. 

Overall, I am pretty flexible with my race training, in the days in which runs may happen. I, overall, aim to run my longest run on Sunday, and am willing to move a few runs around dependent on my weekly schedule. In my books, as long as the run happened some time in that week, I am a-ok. In addition, I still try to incorporate weight-training 4 times a week, on top of my running. 

When reviewing this plan, I will most likely do my long runs outside, so will make Sunday and Thursday outdoor training; while, I will do the remainder of my training in the gym. More to come about that gym membership in a few days!

Tempo Run: Tempo runs help you develop your anaerobic threshold, which is critical for faster racing. For a 40-minute tempo run, for example, start your run with 5 to 10 minutes of easy running, then continue with 15 to 20 minutes of running at about 10 seconds slower than your 10K pace. Finish with 5 to 10 minutes of cooling down. If you're not sure what your 10K pace is, run at a pace that feels "comfortably hard."

Interval workouts (IW): After a warm-up, run 400 meters (one lap around most tracks) hard, then recover by jogging or walking 400 meters. For example, 3 x 400 would be three hard 400s, with a 400 m recovery in between. For the 800 meter intervals, run 800 meters (two laps around most tracks) at your 5K race pace and then recover for 800 meters in between intervals.

EZ: This is an active recovery day. Your run should be at an easy, comfortable pace, which helps loosen up your muscles and get your body and mind used to running on tired legs.

OFF: Days with no running. Weight training, or no activity will occur. 

Question of the Day: What resources or plans to use to train for an upcoming race?

Michelyn

1 comment:

  1. I'll talk more as this relates to it in a future blog post, maybe. Vitax Extreme Fat Burn These are the only things I actually think of as relevant when picking that. I did meet with a couple of opposition on that.
    http://www.supplementsauthority.com/vitax-extreme-fat-burn/

    ReplyDelete