September 6, 2014

Whole 30 Food Diary Week 1

On September 1st, Coach Kemp and I embarked on the Whole30 Challenge. It may be more fair to say that I coerced Coach Kemp into the program because he was not that excited about it at first. I convinced him to join me for two reasons (a) I would not be preparing non Whole30 meals for dinner and (b) he should want to support me by joining me! You know the saying - Happy Wife = Happy Life.

He did have a few slip ups, for example, the few alcoholic beverages consumed, and the last of the goat feta cheese from the Athens Farmers Market. I am sure there have been a few other "small" cheats, but in all; Coach has been doing well with the program.

I too have not been perfect. On day 1, I mistakenly put dairy-free cheese in my eggs. Who knew that the GoVeggie lactose-free cheese slices do have trace amount of dairy and soy. On Tuesday morning something triggered me to take a closer look at the ingredient list. Then on Tuesday I had a cup of coffee with So Delicious Coconut Creamer, and realized after taking a few sips that it most likely had sweetener it in. On Thursday I had my coffee with plain coconut milk (the canned version), and I am not so sure if I am a fan. Part of me desires to rid my small habit of coffee drinking entirely, so I plan to make it a priority for week #2.

At this point, I can't say that I feel much different. To be honest, Coach and I ate pretty healthy overall, but I do believe that a cleanse is good for everyone. Prior to the Whole30 Challenge I purchased about 75 % organic and local foods; now I am closer to 90%. Some of the main changes have been to organic eggs, butter, bacon, seasoning + herbs, and more produce. I first purchase any fresh produce from the Athens Farmers Market, and then hit up the local Kroeger for their organic section. If neither has something that I need, then I purchase non-organic produce. Like today, I am planning to make a paleo-friendly shrimp stir-fry with cauliflower rice. I did not see any at the market or Kroeger, so I purchased the regular cauliflower. "It Starts with Food" recommends to buy frozen, but I don't think cauliflower rice would turn out too great with frozen, organic cauliflower.

Here are a few eats that I had this week. The following are not in order of Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner because as the Hartwigs explain, you must re-think these overall. What they mean is that you may not always eat eggs for breakfast. In my case, on Friday night I had a "breakfast" type of meal with left-over Tilapia for breakfast. I did have my infamous turkey mash for lunch almost everyday except for Friday when Coach Kemp and I got steaks at a local eatery. This is why I ended up eating a breakfast for dinner, I was kind of over meat by the evening.
3 Whole Eggs, Handful Spinach, Petite Klondike Potatoes (with olive oil, pepper & seasoning) And Organic Berry Mix
Cinnamon Apple & Carrot Turkey Mash (Recipe Coming Soon!) & Organic Green Mix

Paleo Chicken Curry &Spaghetti Squash


Bacon Wrapped Asparagus (Recipe Coming Soon!) & 3 Whole Eggs 

3 Whole Eggs w/ Avocado Slices, Mixed Organic Berries And Petite Klondike Potatoes (with olive oil, pepper & seasoning)  

3 Whole Eggs, Sauteed Mushrooms (in H20), Mixed Berries And Petite Klondike Potatoes (with olive oil, pepper & seasoning) 

Organic Corn & Steak

Pecan Paprika Tilapia on Bacon Brussel Sprouts (minus maple syrup)

Breakfast Frittata with Spinach, Tomatoes, Peppers & Onions And Mixed Berries (This is 2 servings)

This morning I went to crossfit, then hit up Wal-Mart for a few necessities, and ended my Saturday morning shopping with the Athens Farmers Market & Kroeger. The picture below shows the goodies I got this Saturday; all for $20! In the left hand corner that is a squash of some kind; don't ask what I plan to do with that! The lady was short on dollar bills, and my total was $4; I simply grabbed the first thing that was $1.
Athens Farmers Market 9.6.2014


Michelyn

No comments:

Post a Comment