October 15, 2014

CrossFit Essentials

I have been doing CrossFit for a few months, and have slowly been purchasing some of the must-haves for any new-comer to the sport. Many of the items on my list have been purchased, are waiting to be delivered, or I am just waiting for the right opportunity to pull the trigger (i.e., buy online). So, let's see what nine things made my list!



1. Reebok CrossFit Nano 4.0 This lightweight, stabilizing shoe is great for your general WODs. It provides ample amount of flexibility for WODs with runs, but enough stability that one can get ample support and grip for exercises such as rope climbs to thrusters, and everything in between.

2. Reebok CrossFit Lifter Plus 2.1. You may be wondering, why in the world would one need two (or more) pairs of shoes for CrossFit. Well, this shoe is designed for heavy lifting like Olympic-style lifts and provides even more stability than the Nano. I have not purchased this shoe, but hope to soon, as it really allows you to grip the floor and feel stabilized when powering through heavy lifts!

3. Under Armour Power in Pink Water Bottle. When engaging in any of form of intensive exercise, one should stay hydrated and this water bottle will keep you hydrated in style.

4.Complete Light Compression Short 1.0 As you can see I am a fan of Hylete. As a member of CrossFit SEO, we get 20% off their entire website! Yes, please, and thank you. I love these shorts because they actually stay in place and are super flattering.

5. Knee High Performance Compression Socks 1.0 If you read my half marathon recap, you may have noticed that I wore pink compression sleeves. I can't really attest to them making a huge difference, but they were cute and matched my half marathon outfit. Well, I feel the same way about compression socks for CrossFit. I am not sure if I can tell a difference, but knee high socks look so cute with compression (boy) shorts, so I have purchased two pair so far :)

6. Ultra Thin CrossFit Adjustable Speed Cable Jump Rope Yes, the jump rope does matter! The speed cable jump ropes turn over quicker than a traditional jump rope. Make sure you buy one that is adjustable because you want to ensure it fits your height and ability levels. I recently learned that as a beginner, like myself, we want the rope slightly longer and then as you get better you can shorten it up a tad!

7. Weight Lifting Belt I recently got yelled at by my father for not wearing a weight lifting belt after boasting about my deadlift weight. As I improve on my form, I will need to invest in a weight lifting belt to ensure that I do not throw out my back.

8. Complete Performance 1.0 Hoodie Now that the weather is turning a little more cool, sweatshirts and long sleeve attire are ever more important, especially when you workout at a box because you WILL be running outdoors in ALL elements - rains, snow, sleet. Just last week it was pouring here in Athens and I just knew that the WOD would not include running outside... Guess who was wrong?!?! The WOD incorporated running 2.5 laps around the building and then 21 slamballs--7 times! Everyone was drenched!

9. Constantly Varied Gear This company has some of the cutest WOD, running, and workout tanks that I have seen thus far. They no longer have the tank above, but it was too cute not to post! Cute tanks and shirts are great for conversation starters, especially if you are new to a box.

Question of the Day: What gear do you think is essential for a CrossFit workout?

 Michelyn


1 comment:

  1. While choosing the best shoes make sure that there must be a sufficient cushion to absorb the beat shock of the jump, so your feet and joints feel steady. To continue the exercise comfortably for a long term, your shoes should have enough space for the toe nails because while jumping, the upper surface should not bend over the nail which can lead to severe pain.

    ReplyDelete