February 27, 2014

Fruit-filled French Toast

So I am ALL about easy peasy recipes, and I have got one for you! Actually, all of my recipes are pretty easy and simple, just the way I like them.

This breakfast or snack option only takes about 15 minutes to whip up, and your taste buds will be praising you during each bite. You can thank me after you try it for yourself. I also must share that this is not a recipe that I devised personally, but one that was shared by one of my fellow friends from Renegade, Jocelyn. She could probably develop a cookbook with all the quick recipes she has shared in these two weeks. And she's got great knowledge, or enjoys researching, about healthy foods. Hey, one has to have a friend in your corner that is willing to do the research and then share!


Ingredients
  • 4 eggs (3 egg white + 1 whole egg)
  • Organic Canned Pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
  • Sugar-Free Syrup
  • Berries
  • Cinnamon 
  • Sugar-Free Sweetener (such as):
    • Stevia/Truvia Individual Packets
    • WOW Better Stevia. I have been using the Cinnamon Vanilla 
Directions
  1. Heat 10-inch pan on medium heat with a little oil spray/mist
  2. Beat 3 egg whites and 1 whole egg in a bowl while pan becomes warm.
  3. Add approximately 2 TBSP of canned pumpkin, sugar-free sweetener of choice and cinnamon. (I have also used Pumpkin Pie Spice)
  4. Pour egg/pumpkin mixture into pan, and allow to settle for approximately 2-5 minutes. Th time depends on your stove. Jocelyn originally stated 10 mins, but my gas stove is very hot, and that was a little too long. 
  5. Once egg mixture becomes "slightly firm" add in berries of choice (blueberries, raspberries, cranberries, strawberries, etc.). I do not indicate an amount, maybe 1/2 C - 1 C depending on our fruit preference. 
  6. Cover with lid for approximately 5 mins.
  7. Once settled, and juices have been released, fold like a sandwich and recover for 2-3 mins. 
  8. Dress with additional fruit/berries and sugar-free syrup. 
I personally do not enjoy cooked fruit, but I absolutely love this recipe. It is so easy and good for you. This whole eating healthy is so much fun. I am just getting started. In my opinion this is best with raspberries cooked inside and fresh strawberries outside. The raspberries really "juice" while cooking, yum! I do not encourage the use of frozen fruit. I tried this and it wasn't as good. However, if in a pinch, I would do it again. 

Here is the rundown on berries:

1 cup of blueberries has 85 calories.
1 cup of blackberries has 65 calories.
1 cup of strawberries has 45 calories.
1 cup of cranberries has 46 calories.


Ok, in other Jocelyn news, I may need to re-name this post! But she also shared this great article, see I told you she is resourceful, about the Nine Foods You Should Never Eat Again. Here is the list (I encourage you to visit the full article for justifications):
  1. White bread, refined flours
  2. Conventional frozen meals
  3. White rice
  4. Microwaveable Popcorn *
  5. Cured meats with nitrate, nitrites
  6. Most conventional protein, energy bars *
  7. Margarine
  8. Soy milk and soy-based meat substitutes *
  9. "Diet" anything
The three items that I starred surprised/shocked me the most. I have learned more about reading and dissecting the ingredient lists for all foods, but especially energy, protein bars. The writer does share that not ALL energy/protein bars are bad, but that a vast majority are. He includes a short list of some "clean" bars but fails to mention Renegade's "beloved", Quest bars. If you are interested in buying some protein bars, I highly recommend that you check out GNC who is offering 25% off all orders with code, THKSPRG!

Question of the Day: What from the list above surprises you the most? Can you delete it from your diet?

Michelyn




1 comment:

  1. WOW! Thank you so much. I am honored to part of your blog and look forward to the coming weeks of our challenge group! Can't wait to see the success of all the members.
    Jocelyn

    ReplyDelete