Tie One On, started by the Vice President for External Affairs Lawrence (Larry) Burns, was inspired by the Coaches vs. Cancer effort. Instead of tennis shoes, UT Men’s Basketball Coach Tod Kowalczyk and his coaching staff wear bow ties to support the fight against cancer. A huge notes of admiration is warranted to Larry Burns and his team! This year's event raised over $30,000 for prostate cancer care, research, and outreach. Congratulations and thank you to everyone who supported such a wonderful cause.
This year's bow tie was reversible, one could wear it as a yellow or navy bow-tie. I forgot to take a picture of Coach Kemp's ensemble but he wore a navy suite, yellow shirt with white stripes, and these neat brown and navy dress shoes. He was pretty dapper, if I do not say so myself! Here are a few highlights from the Win!
- Toledo has won 2 straight games vs. BG for first time since winning 3 in a row in 2006-07.
- The Rockets now lead the all-time series vs. the Falcons by an 85-79 margin.
- Toledo had four players in double figures for the 18th time in 22 games.
- Bowling Green’s 25 assists were the most against UT since Temple had 26 on Nov. 14, 2010.
- Toledo’s 29 free throws made were its most in league play and tied for its 2nd most this season.
- Senior guard Rian Pearson moved into 10th place ahead of former Rocket Nick Moore (1,384 pts., 1999-2003) on UT’s all-time scoring list with 1,394 points.
- Junior guard Justin Drummond led the team in scoring for a team-high eighth time. He also has scored in double figures a team-high 19 times and is the team’s leader with 14.7 ppg
- Junior forward J.D. Weatherspoon’s double-double was his 3rd this season and the 10th by a Rocket.
- Freshman guard Jonathan Williams scored eight points and is 4-of-6 from three-point range in his last two games.
Feb. 8: Toledo at Ball State (80-73)
After our win verse in-state rivals Bowling Green, the men's team then headed to Indiana to play against Ball State. Overall, the boys played a tough game on the road. The one downside about being the conference leaders, is that you are playing with a "target on your back" at all times!
- Toledo leads its all-time series vs. Ball State by a 44-40 margin and has won its last three games in Muncie for the first time since winning five in a row from 1976-80.
- The Rockets are 7-3 in road games and 3-2 in MAC road contests this season.
- Toledo has scored 80 or more points in five straight games.
- The Rockets are 18-0 when holding their opponent under 80 points.
- Toledo’ 11 steals were its most vs. a Division I opponent this season.
- Senior guard Rian Pearson notched his first 20-point game in MAC play this season. He has led UT in scoring on seven occasions.
- Freshman center Zach Garber tied his season high with 19 minutes played and also blocked a season-high two shots.
- Junior forward J.D. Weatherspoon grabbed a team-high 11 boards for his fourth double-digit rebounding effort this season. Weatherspoon is now averaging 6.8 rpg for the Rockets and 8.2 rpg in league play.
Sat, Feb. 15 at Eastern Michigan
Good Luck to the Rockets this week!