February 5, 2015

Competing in Evening Gown

I head off to Jacksonville to judge the Miss Jacksonville/River City tomorrow! First, I am heading to for some pampering with my mother today. If you read my Bump Post from yesterday then I am sure you remember that I am re-coloring my hair, but we also have a few other fun things in store as well.

I figure a pageant-related post is warranted given this occasion.

And, if you are new to my blog let me highlight my three-series post about nailing the pageant interview - Part I, Part II, and Part III.

In my opinion, the simplest portion of the pageant competition is the Evening Gown. Simple in the fact that the contestant only has to walk gracefully on the stage. I underlined "only" because this is not always as simple as it appears, but way simpler than answering an on-stage question or executing a talent, if competing in the MAO system! To be honest, nothing about competing in pageants is downright simple!

Before you walk on stage a contestant must find a pageant gown. This process can be a little daunting as there are so many gowns to chose from. My rule of thumb is to choose a dress that flatters your body and personality.  Also, it is important to consider your age when choosing a dress. If you are competing in a Mrs pageant you would want to chose a dress fitted for a married woman verse a Miss or Teen dress.

After watching the Miss Florida's Outstanding Teen pageant this past summer, I believe the Teen division is the most challenging to find a dress. Many Teen titles are for girls 13-17 years of age, and we all know a lot of development and maturity occurs during those 5 years. There is a fine balance between being age appropriate and not in that division.

When choosing a dress and your undergarments, remember that many of times your judges are sitting in the orchestra pit of the theater. Always practice walking in your evening gown (and shoes) to ensure that none of your lady parts are exposed; it's not a good look!

As in the interview, confidence is key to doing well in evening gown. Sure a judge may not prefer your choice in a gown, but if a contestant presents herself with poise, a judge will undeniably score her high.

Have a lovely weekend, and see you Monday!

Michelyn Cynthia

No comments:

Post a Comment