February 22, 2015

Tidying Up The Diet


My gym, CrossFit SEO, is starting a Paleo Challenge on Monday for 6 weeks. If I were not pregnant, I would jump at the opportunity to document and reflect on this challenge as I did last year with the Renegade 7 Week Challenge.

Then I got to thinking... Maybe I should do my own version of a Paleo/Gluten Free Challenge for 5 weeks in efforts of "tidying up the diet." I was thinking on Saturday about the foods that I have been eating, or to be more specific; the lack of fruits and vegetables, as well as infrequent meals, and I was ashamed.

Now before anyone calls the doctor or sends hate mail, I am defining "diet" as the foods that one consumes and not necessarily a restrictive, low calorie/fat diet to lose weight. Surprise! This lady ain't losing no weight anytime soon.

Let's take Friday, for example, in which I consumed nachos and cheese for brunch! Yeap, I skipped over breakfast, even though I did an early morning workout at CrossFit SEO, and did not consume any food until nearly 11:00am. Was I terribly busy! Hell no! And what type of excuse is that for a pregnant lady! I then consumed a banana with 1 TBSP of natural peanut butter around 3:00pm. And the one healthy meal that I consumed was for dinner in which we had gluten-free turkey meatballs, baked sweet potato and a salad. Oh, you know then I got bored and had popcorn around 9:00pm drizzled with natural peanut butter! Ok, so my mid-day snack was healthy, but the nachos for brunch and popcorn! I got to do better!

So for the next 5 weeks, I will share my menu plan for the proceeding week. Honestly, it will be a specific menu of our dinners which will either be Paleo or Gluten-free. I try to eat the same thing for lunch multiple days in a row so that I don't have to think too much! The simpler the plan, the better in my books!

Here is what I am thinking for Week 1

Breakfast
HerbaLife Smoothie (Not Paleo or Gluten-free) 

Lunch
Scrambled Eggs with Organic Bacon or Applegate Breakfast Sausage
Paleo Sweet Potato Biscuits or Ezekial Bread
Sauteed Spinach, Sauteed Mushrooms, or Roasted Broccoli with Onion
Berry Salad

Snack #1
Apple, Carrots, or Banana w/ Nut Butter
Carrots & Celery with Hummus (Not Paleo)

Dinner
Sunday: Pesto Zucchini Noodles w/ Sausage & Salad

Monday & Tuesday: Man-Pleasing Chicken, Brussels Sprouts w/ Bacon & Sweet Potato Fries

Wednesday: Honey Garlic Pork Chops, Roasted Corn & Salad

Thursday & Friday:Paleo Taco Pie

Saturday: Out

Snack #2/ Dessert

I am really excited about this challenge as it will help me diversfy our meals and ensure that I am eating more well-balanced meals! It was starting to get a little shady over at Team Kemp residence. 

Michelyn Kemp

4 comments:

  1. I need deets on zucchini noodles please. And, you can make popcorn healthier. (plain kernels, brown lunch bag, fold the top a few times, 20 sec in the microwave... no chemicals, no fake butter, etc).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris, you ahev to buy the Veggetti Spiral Vegetable Slicer, I will FB you the link! You can either heat the noodles in microwave or in pan - super easy!

      Delete
  2. You're doing a lot better than I was. When I was pregnant I couldn't stop eating donuts or Panda Express… it's amazing Mariah turned out OK, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If we had a KrispyKreme I would be at the donut shop on the regular. I too love ice cream, but not in love with the place here either. But, I am writing a list for when we go to Madison!

      Delete