February 26, 2015

A-Game Attire with Uncommon Wife Life


I’m Lisa Compton, wife of Tigh (pronounced like tie) Compton, Associate Head Men’s Basketball Coach at the University of Pikeville (UPIKE), in Pikeville, Kentucky. Since graduating from UPIKE in 2012, I have worked in public relations and marketing.
Whitney Friend Photography
Around one year ago, I started a blog – Uncommon Wife Life – as a way to share my stories, meet others that share this basketball wife life, and all the other random things I love!

How did you and Coach meet?
My journey as a coach’s wife began long before I was actually married. Tigh and I met in college when he was a student assistant and I was a university cheerleader. His seat on the bench was on the main end, next to the water cooler – which was also next to where I took my stance on the sidelines.

Tigh has since worked his way from the seat next to the water cooler to becoming the head coach’s left hand man. During his transition, I have since graduated and we have been happily married for almost two years…leading to my new role as a coach’s wife. Like I mentioned earlier, my journey as a coach’s wife began long before we married. In college, as a cheerleader, I too went to many of the away basketball games and cheered on the sidelines at the home games. The difference today, I am cheering from the stands. The lifestyle my husband and I have created is not ideal for most young couples in eastern Kentucky, but we wouldn’t have it any other way!


Basketball brought us together.

Tell us a little about your college team.
UPIKE is a National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA) Division I, liberal arts university, located in eastern Kentucky - the heart of the Appalachian Mountains. UPIKE is where we met and the place we call home.

The UPIKE Bears are the 2011 NAIA Division I National Champions and the 2013-2014 Mid-South Conference Regular Season and Conference Champions. I am more than honored to have been part of all of this, not only as a student, but as a coach’s wife.


What is your most memorable basketball experience to date?
As I mentioned earlier in the post, the UPIKE Bears are the 2011 NAIA Division I National. I was able to cheer on the Bears at the National Championship as a UPIKE cheerleader. Seriously, the most exciting nine days of my entire life!
That and our games against rival teams – they get so intense!

Explain your game day attire. Where do you typically purchase your game day attire?
I grew up in a small town with a plethora of locally owned embroidery/tee shirt shops. I am a FIRM believer in the ‘shop local’ campaign. Most, if not all, of my game day shirts come from Stitches and Designs, Tee’d Up, or have been given to me for free from all of the giveaways they do on campus. Each year, I always try to get a new shirt design for the upcoming season. I always pair these shirts/sweatshirts with American Eagle skinny jeans and boots. Monday through Friday, from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM (sometimes later than that), I am dressed up. I love being comfortable on game days!



What tips can you provide to other coach’s wives?
There are three things I think ALL coach’s wives should have. These three things have helped me tremendously:

A hobby. There are many lonely nights and boring weekends, especially during the season. A few years ago I picked up crocheting. I have found that it not only passes the time, but that I am pretty good at it! We currently do not have children or pets, so I always look for something new to crochet. If crocheting isn’t for you, try escaping the world with a good book.

‘Thick skin.’ People are going to say things that you don’t want to hear – whether it be a rude comment about your husband or a nasty remark about your team. Sometimes, more often than not, you just have to bite your tongue. On some rare occasions, I find myself sitting next to the opposing team’s number one fan. I normally let most remarks and comments slide, but it is hard hearing such discouraging words being spoken. But that is the name of the game. It happens.

Patience. Coaches put a great amount of time into what they do. My coach is normally not finished with duties until an hour or so after the game. Then you add in travel time, and all of it is extended if it’s an away game. Being patient is hard, especially after an exciting win and a tough loss.

Lisa Compton
Uncommon Wife Life


Praise Lisa for her phenominal tips for coach's wives. I agree with her wholeheartedly on all three tips. Thinking she needs to join the Beauty Blogger Book Club as another hobby besides crocheting- hint, hint!

I love how Lisa embraces Pikesville, KY by shopping local. I just love Etsy which is also a wonderful avenue to find custom-made items! I wonder when Lisa will get her own Etsy shop up and running with her crochet items. If you follow her on Instagram, she occasionally posts her latest creations! Wow, I love finding people extra things to do with their time.

Thank you again to Lisa for her A-Game Feature! Please head on over to her blog and follow, Uncommon Wife Life, as she chronicles her life as a coach's wife!

If you, or are a friend, is interested in being featured in an upcoming A-Game post, please Contact Me for additional information!

Michelyn Cynthia

3 comments:

  1. I never got around to commenting. But thank you so much for the opportunity for this! I had so much fun :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Thank you for being featured! Hope to meet you in person one day soon!

      Delete

  2. Nice article keep on writing. Thank you, wonderful job!

    sports rings
    Gameday attire

    ReplyDelete