February 27, 2015

Bump Journey: Months 1-5


Reflecting back, I probably should have written this post by trimesters, but it did not come to me until more recently. Since I have passed the half-way mark, I figure I might as well document the presence or absence of some of the common pregnancy symptoms.

I know no two pregnancies are the same and I want to remember how this pregnancy progresses compared to any ones that I may have after.

I also want to apologize as I do realize that more and more of my posts are pregnancy-related. I know some readers may not be that interested in my pregnancy, and I am ok with that. I do advertise as a life and style blog, and currently my life is pretty focused on being pregnant. 

Breast Tenderness: In the first trimester this was my biggest symptom besides frequent urination which I will touch on below. I remember praying to the workout gods that our WODS would not entail double-unders or burpees because it hurt so much to jump and have to lie on my stomach/chest. This specific symptom has passed, and now I am just ever concerned to when the lady parts will stop growing. Trust me, I asked the OB about that! The response was not what I wanted to hear, lol.

Breathlessness:This too began in my first trimester but is only an issue when doing workouts. Very early on I shared the news with Jolene at CrossFit SEO so she would know why I was a little lethargic during workouts. I am not sure many people really knew but the breathlessness really arose when running with a 20lb medicine ball. Running has always been my strength at CrossFit, and I remember having to tell Jolene that I could no longer run with a medicine ball because I would become so very winded. Granted, I was also dealing with cold weather, not like it is now, but that just compounded the issue.

Presently, in the 2nd trimester, it is quite comical as I get winded during the warm-ups - high knees, butt kicks, high jumps, etc. have me gasping for air. I have laid off of running because of the cramping I was getting. Instead, I row which does not leave me as breathless.

Constipation: Good on this front, though I do try to consume 1 gallon of water/day, which I believe has helped with my regularity. I did discuss having some feelings of constipation - full stomach and abdominal pain - however, I believe this right before I really popped between weeks 19 and 20.

Cravings: To Coach Kemp's dismay, I have not had any severe food cravings. I discussed this in a previous post, Satisfying Those Pregnancy Cravings.

Dreams: My crazy dreams have decreased substantially, but we're pretty consistent between weeks 12-17. The theme of the dreams were partying with my high school and college girlfriends! Ok, those sound like normal dreams, perhaps, but they were very vivid and just odd - not the partying part- but some of the settings. Thinking the dreams were a symbol of letting go of my party days, though I haven't seen those since graduate school lol. 

Fatigue:
I got over really well with fatigue. Now, I did enjoy sleeping between 8-10 hours/night during the first trimester, but I never felt truly lethargic during the day. 

Food Aversions:
During the first few weeks Coach could not consume wine. I could smell it from like a mile away, and it made me repulsed. I too couldn't stomach my beloved Quest bars. Just the thought of them made me queasy. I too wasn't feeling smoothies until my recent trip to Tampa in which I made my mom drive all over Brandon in search of a smoothie shop. Unfortunately, we didn't find one but we were on the hunt! 

Forgetfulness:
Momnesia hit me full force around Week 21, and has only worsened. Let's see where to start! Oh you know, I sent a girlfriend flowers to the incorrect address! Thank heavens I merely transcribed the house number, and somehow, they got to her door-step. Then there was that time that I sent my cousin, not one but about 3 letters to her former address. Her family moved over a year ago. Many of my momnesia episodes have included addresses, as you can see. There are countless other scenarios which have made me question my brain functioning.


I now have lists for my my lists, and am contemplating hiring an assistant. Actually, I just need to stop trying to juggle 5,000s things/day. I am horrible at only feeling competent with my plate completely full. I have historically been a person who performs best when balancing many plates. Little Miss Kemp will force me to narrow down my scope in many facets of my life. 

Headaches:
Only had this symptom for about one week around Week 17

 
Increased Urination:
I have historically required many trips to the ladies room throughout the day. At one time I was even checked for all kinds of serious/semi-serious heath issues and they all came back negative. At that time, I was like 18 years-old, the doctor just stated that I had a small bladder and not to worry. 


Now, the night-time bathroom trips is on a new level. I previously did not wake up frequently at night to use the bathroom, but now I get up about 4 times/night and it may only be getting worse. 

Mood swings:
I'm naturally moody, lol, but I don't think Coach would say I'm any moodier than normal.  And if he did, he's a smart man and wouldn't confess to it anyways. 


Michelyn Cynthia

No comments:

Post a Comment